16th century formula for today’s ailments!
Rediscovering Old Formulas
Once you enter the world of herbs you can find a lot of simple solutions to your everyday health problems.
My daughter has always had tendency for ear infections. I was looking for alternatives to antibiotics which lead me to Swedish Bitters. I used the liquid to soothe her ear pain and in the matter of few days the pain was gone. I recommended this formula to all my friends which they used for their various ailments.
Swedish Bitters are recommended, internally for the relief of bloatedness, sluggish bowels and constipation, and to ease feeling of fullness. They are used externally as a compress to soothe inflammation of the skin, the itch of insect bites, and the burning sores.
The great help I, my friends, and many other people got from the formula, come from the combination of ingredients of Swedish Bitters: Aloe, Myrrh, Saffron, Senna leaves, Camphor, Rhubarb roots, Zedvoary roots, Manna, Theriac venezian, Carline thistle roots, Angelica roots.
The formula is easily made at home by combining vodka with dry herbal blend of Swedish Herbs which is obtainable in health food stores.
Therapeutical usage of Swedish Bitters ingredients:
How to prepare the liquid extract with Swedish Herbs.
- Aloe – can be applied externally to restore skin tissues, may help to aid the healing of burns and sores. Internally can be takes for stomach disorders. It is used in chronic catarrh, phthisis pulmonalis, chlorosis, and in amenorrhoea
- Myrrh - stimulant to the mucous tissues, a stomachic carminative, exciting appetite and the flow of gastric juice
- Saffron- used for chronic haemorrhage of the uterus in adults
- Senna - used mainly for severe constipation
- Camphor- Its great value is in colds, chills, and in all inflammatory complaints
- Rhubarb roots -useful in cases of diarrhoea, caused by an irritating body in the intestines
- Manna- used in medicine as a gentle laxative
- Theriac venezian- Anti-inflammatory, Bronchitis, Sore Throat, Indigestion, Catarrh (Mucous) of the mouth and throat
- Carline thistle roots- bronchitis, common cold, headache, inflammation, itchy skin, kidney stones
- Angelica roots- used for colds, coughs, pleurisy, wind, colic, rheumatism
Place the entire contents of one packet of 1.05 oz. of Swedish Herbs in a clean, clear glass bottle and pour over 0.5 litre (16.9 fl.oz.) of 80 proof (40% by volume) alcohol. You can use vodka, brandy, or any fruit spirit. Let the preparation stand for 14 days shaking the contents daily. Then filter through a kitchen strainer lined with cheesecloth into dark-tinted glass bottle and seal. When prepared as directed, one packet of Swedish Herbs will make 0.5 litre of Swedish Bitter.
Swedish Herbs come with detailed instruction for making and using Swedish Bitters. Remember to always consult a doctor before aplying any herbal treatment.
This old formula originally formulated by Paracelsus ,the father of modern medicine, was rediscovered by Swedish physician Dr. Claus Samst and popularized by Maria Treben, an Austrian herbalist, in her book “Health Through God’s Pharmacy”. In the transcript of ”Old Manuscript” the author explains in 46 points the way these drops heal illness.
More info about the book can be found at http://www.starthealthylife.com/page315.htm
You can read more about each ingredient of Swedish Herbs at: http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/Hol_Herb_Directory_Index.htm http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/myrrh-66.html
Disclaimer: The information on this website is presented for educational purposes only and it is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Nothing listed on this website should be considered as medical advice for dealing with a given problem. You should consult your health care professional for individual guidance for specific health problems.